Dog Bite Attorney in Sugar Land
Proving Dog Bite Liability
According to recent statistics, in 2018 there were 36 fatalities caused by dog bites. Of these fatalities, 15 involved children and 21 involved adults. In the same year, 27,000 reconstructive surgeries were performed for victims of dog bites.
Being attacked by a dog is a very frightening and upsetting experience, and includes physical harm and severe health risks. Any individual has a right to safety and to expect other individuals to refrain from bringing dangerous elements into the environment.
In Texas, the factors and circumstances which establish liability in dog bite cases are:
- The owner knew the dog was dangerous or vicious
- Negligence by the person handling the dog was apparent
- There was a violation of an animal control law
- The injury was intentionally caused by the person handling the dog
What to Do If You Were Bit by a Dog:
- If you have been attacked by a dog, you should take immediate steps to identify the dog.
- Wherever possible, get the name, address and insurance information of the owner or person handling the dog.
- Seek medical attention and be sure to keep all related paperwork.
- Take photographic evidence of the wounds and injuries.
- As soon as possible after the incident, it is critical that you contact a Sugar Land personal injury lawyer to assist with filing a claim or lawsuit.
You may be contacted by the insurance company of the liable party. If so, take the name and contact details of the company and ask for the claim number. Do not discuss money, the incident or injuries, nor liability, and do not permit yourself to be recorded. Be sure not to sign any papers or accept any money.
Contact Our Dog Bite Lawyers Today!
At The León Law Firm, P.C., we will aggressively pursue your claim and endeavor to secure you the maximum possible compensation. It is important that you contact us as soon as possible, while the details are still fresh and the evidence still apparent. It will also help if we need to interview witnesses. These cases can often be settled out of court but we are prepared to litigate on your behalf if needed. Whatever the situation, we will fight for you in an effort to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Sugar Land Dog Bite Attorney for help fighting for compensation if you have been injured by a dog.