18-wheeler accidents can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone. Recently an 18-wheeler hauling tanks on a flat bed, hit an overpass and one of the tanks fell off the bed. Can you imagine the injuries someone would suffer if a huge metal tank that weighs, hundreds, if not thousands of pounds landed on them? In this particular case, fortunately no one was injured in the 18-wheeler accident. It happened overnight, at 1am on a Monday night. Thank fully there were very few vehicles on the road at the time.
Photo from KHOU.com
However, this exact same accident could have happened during the day and injured many people.
So in order to prevent being injured in an 18-wheeler accident, here are a few tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Keep your distance. This is so simple, yet most people don't. Keep yourself as distanced as possible and reasonable as you can from an 18-wheeler.
- Increase your awareness. Although you should always be aware of your driving surroundings, when there is an 18-wheeler, make an effort to pay more attention because you can't see in front of, or around them.
- If you need to be close, make sure they see you and you see them. One of the best stickers on the back of many trucks. They have blind spots too and can easily not see you.
- Anticipate their next move. Be on the lookout for traffic, other vehicles, turn signals and any other indications that they may be slowing down, turning, etc.
- Be courteous. Nothing is worse than a driver being uncourteous to the driver of an 18-wheeler. They want to get home same too. Don't cut them off, turn without signals, etc.
- Be extra careful with trucks that have flatbeds with itmes tied down. The snaps can loosen with vibration, or bumps and cargo can fall, especially on curves.
So when you are driving near an 18-wheeler, especially on a freeway, be smart. Follow the tips listed and you can reduce your chances of getting injured in an 18-wheeler accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving an 18-wheeler, you have rights. And those rights need to be protected and defended. It is important that the victims of 18-wheeler and auto accidents have the best available resources to them to make sure that they are represented by an experienced personal injury attorney that can represent them to receive the maximum amount of compensation possible for their accident injuries and / or loss of life. At The Leon Law Firm, our job is to get to the bottom of the facts and hold those responsible for your injuries accountable for their wrongdoings.
Contact The Leon Law Firm immediately for a confidential and complimentary case evaluation. If we take on your case, you do not have to pay us a single penny unless we win for you. Over the last 20 years, we have helped hundreds of accident victims get compensated for their accident injuries and we may be able to help you too. Give us a call today at (281) 980-4529.