Recently in the Houston area, there have been several major accidents involving 18-wheelers. Some have overturned; some have run off the roads, some have rear-ended passenger vehicles. Many of these accidents have caused serious injuries or even deaths.
We would like to share the top five reasons why you should be careful when driving around 18-wheelers.
- They are bigger than you. Yes it is obvious but when you take account that 18-wheelers carry loads of 40,000 or more pounds, you know you could be on the losing end.
- They are very hard to maneuver. As stated above, a vehicle that weight 40,000+ pounds traveling at least 40 mph cannot maneuver as quickly as a sports car.
- The load may be dangerous. Sometimes flatbeds and tankers can cause accidents without directly involving the head of the truck. Sometimes pipes or palettes may fall of the back of the truck. Sometimes tanker may be leaking dangerous or slippery fluids without the driver even knowing.
- You don't know their awareness level. The driver of the truck may have just started his journey or may be on the final hour of a multi-hour drive and you don't know if they are tired or sleepy. The time of the day, does not mean they are or are not wide awake.
- You don't know their maintenance record. Yes, it's true. The trucking industry is regulated and fines are in place for those that violate maintenance records and do not keep their truck up to the DOT standards. However, it is not uncommon to find these faults, after an accident has happened due to vehicle malfunction and poor maintenance.
So when you are driving near an 18-wheeler, especially on a freeway be smart. Keep your distance. Do not cut them off, and make sure that you are not in their blind spot.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving an 18-wheeler, you have rights. And those rights need to be protected and defended. It is important that the victims of 18-wheeler and auto accidents have the best available resources to them to make sure that they are represented by an experienced personal injury attorney that can represent them to receive the maximum amount of compensation possible for their accident injuries and / or loss of life. At The Leon Law Firm, our job is to get to the bottom of the facts and hold those responsible for your injuries accountable for their wrongdoings.
Contact The Leon Law Firm immediately for a confidential and complimentary case evaluation. If we take on your case, you do not have to pay us a single penny unless we win for you. Over the last 20 years, we have helped hundreds of accident victims get compensated for their accident injuries and we may be able to help you too. Give us a call today 281-980-4529.