Unfortunately, auto accidents happen every day. Sometimes auto accidents are caused by reckless driving. Sometimes they are caused by careless driving and sometimes it may even be faulty equipment that causes injuries in auto accidents. Regardless of the cause of the accident, an auto accident can happen to anyone at any time.
Although accidents can be a frightening and emotional event, try to remember the steps below.
- If anyone is injured, immediately call 911 to help medical help ASAP. If no one is injured, assess the scene of the auto accident.
- If possible, leave the vehicles involved in the same position until photos have been taken, from many angles if possible.
- Call the local police before calling anyone else. Sometimes other drivers involved in the accident will try to stop or persuade you from calling police. Call Police anyway.
- Get all information from the other driver(s), including their name, address, phone number, license plate, and their insurance carrier's phone and policy number.
- Take photos with your phone or your passenger's phone get as many pictures as you can of the position of the cars, the damages, and anything else that's relevant to the accident, such as stop sign, stop lights, etc. from several vantage points. This can help prove how the crash happened. You can also keep a disposable camera in your glove box.
- Get the names and numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- Write down details of the accident on a note for yourself, or make a voice memo while the details are fresh in your mind.
- Call your insurance agent, and process any claims in an appropriate amount of time.
In many cases, insurance companies will provide basic information on what you are entitled to in the event that you are injured in an auto accident. However it is always best to contact an experienced personal injury attorney to help you file your claim to insure you get the maximum compensation allowed for your situation. Remember that insurance companies are for profit businesses and will try to save money by not paying out the full amount possible on claims. You may think that they are being fair and generous, but most of the time they are not.
At The León Law Firm in Sugarland Texas, we have 20 years of experience in handling personal injury cases such as auto accidents, 18-wheeler accidents, explosions, medical malpractice, burns, loss of limbs, deaths, and more. Over the years, we have tried and settled hundreds of cases on behalf of personal injury victims. Our clients have been awarded millions of dollars collectively. If you or a loved one has been the victim of such accident, call us immediately for a complimentary case evaluation. If we agree to represent you in your case, you will not pay a dime unless we win a settlement on your behalf. Call us today, at 281-980-4529. We look forward to protecting the rights of you and your family.