TLC Parentables pointed us to the story of Hunter and Carter, lifelong best friends who were eating gummy worms when Carter "was wiggling around" and fell off his chair. The boys were alone in the room, so Hunter immediately began performing the Heimlich Maneuver. "On the fourth time it was starting to come out," Hunter told Fox 23, "so I did it really hard on the last time and it came out."
"And I was like, thank goodness," said Carter.
Fox 23 says that since Carter's mother and Hunter's stepmother are registered nurses, Carter was able to perform the international sign for choking, and Hunter was able to recognize it and begin the Heimlich.
According to the Mayo Clinic, "The universal sign for choking is hands clutched to the throat." Other signs include difficulty breathing, an inability to speak or cough, and skin or lips turning blue.
Hunter received an award from his local fire department for his heroics, but the boys are not putting too much emphasis on the rescue. "We didn't really think it was a huge deal," Hunter told Fox 23, and Carter agreed: "It was kinda scary, but that was the past," he said, "and this is the future."
The Leon Law Firm www.theleonlawfirm.com congratulates both the boys for doing what needed to be done!
Click on the link below for a refresher on how to do the Heimlich Maneuver from ehow.com
Have a Great Weekend!