The Leon Law Firm www.theleonlawfirm.com thanks State Farm for the following "TIPS" on what to do following an accident.
http://www.theleonlawfirm.com/Personal-Injury/Car-Accidents.aspx We have handled countless cases and we can help you with yours!
- Have a set of cones, warning triangles, or emergency flares in your trunk to help alert traffic
- It also helps to have a pen and a card with any relevant medical information for you and your family
Immediately after an accident
- Take a deep breath and stay calm
- Check for injuries; call an ambulance when in doubt
- If accident is minor, move cars to a safe place, out of traffic
- Turn on your vehicle's hazard lights and use cones, warning triangles or flares for safety
- Call the police, even if the accident is minor
- Notify your insurance agent immediately
Other important tips
- Don't sign any document unless it's for the police or your insurance agent
- Make immediate notes about the accident, including specific damages to all vehicles involved, witness information, etc.
- If the name on an auto registration is different than the driver, jot down the relationship
- Be polite, but don't tell anyone the accident was your fault, even if you think it was
- State only the facts, and limit your discussion of the accident to the police and your insurance agent
- If possible, don't leave the accident scene before the police and other drivers do